Diet plays a significant role in your overall health, including your oral health. What you eat and drink can strengthen or weaken your teeth.
Foods That Strengthen Teeth
Balanced nutrition can foster good dental health. Your meals should frequently include the following types of food to strengthen your teeth:
- Dairy Products – Dairy items like milk, cheese, and yogurt are rich in calcium and phosphorus. These minerals help remineralize enamel to fortify your teeth against decay.
- Leafy Greens – Leafy greens such as kale and spinach are packed with vitamins and minerals, including calcium. They promote healthy gums and can reduce the risk of gum disease, which is closely linked to tooth loss.
- Fresh Fruits & Vegetables – Fruit and veggies contain healthful nutrients that are vital for healthy gums. Plus, crunchy fruits and vegetables like apples, carrots, and celery are like natural toothbrushes. Their fibrous texture helps scrub away plaque and food particles. They also stimulate saliva flow, which aids in neutralizing acids and preventing cavities.
Types of Food That Weaken Teeth
The following types of foods and drinks can weaken your teeth and should be consumed in moderation:
- Sugary – Carbohydrate-heavy treats like candies, cookies, cakes, chips, and sodas significantly increase your risk of dental disease. The bacteria in your mouth feed on sugar, producing acids that erode tooth enamel.
- Acidic – Citrus juice, tomatoes, and vinegar-based foods are highly acidic. Acidic foods can contain beneficial nutrients but be mindful of how frequently you consume them. It’s best to rinse your mouth with water afterwards.
- Sticky & Chewy – Foods that stick to your teeth, like caramels and dried fruits, increase your risk of decay because they have a high concentration of sugar and are challenging to clean off your teeth.
Preventive Dental Care in Prairie Village, KS
Your diet plays a pivotal role in maintaining good dental health. By incorporating tooth-strengthening foods, following good oral hygiene care at home, and maintaining preventive dental visits with our team, you enjoy a beautiful and healthy smile. To schedule an appointment at Chaney Dental, please contact us today!